Asheq Mahmud College, the largest and the renowned educational institution for higher studies in the district of Jamalpur and Sherpur as well as in Bangladesh, was established on August 10, 1946. Before running this college many a dedicated persons tried hard to establish a college in Jamalpur. At last the dream of the people of this area comes true by the donation of Alhaj Asheq Mahmud Talukder,a landlord of Gabergram in Madarganj Upazila of Jamalpur. In the meanwhile, the then Sub-divisional Officer of Jamalpur Md. Pana Ullah, a non-Bengali man devoted greatly to the spreading of education in the remote areas made all arrangements.